Tuesday, June 28, 2016

8th Grade Math - Unit 6c: Transformations


Last year I did not teach this unit before the students took the CAASPP Summative Assessment. This year I wanted to teach this unit before the CAASSP, so I replaced the Exponent Properties and Scientific Notation Unit with this unit. #gooddecision 

The unit started with a focus on Congruence and Rigid Transformations. I really wanted to focus on the fact that the figures didn't change shape or size they just moved locations.


The first rigid transformation the unit focused on was Translations.


I wanted the students to practice rigid transformations by making their own figures and transformation for each of the rigid transformations so I created a poster task. The poster task was split into parts and done over multiple days. Each time the students learned a new transformation, they would complete the next part of the task for that transformation and add it to their poster.

iMath Lesson - Rigid Transformations Poster Task - (Part One and Two)
Students showed their understanding of this concept in my Showbie Poster Task on Rigid Transformations.  Students created their own figure and translated the figure using their own rule.


iMath –  Practice in Tenmarks and Buzzmath 
Students used Tenmarks and Buzzmath to practice translations. 


The next part of the unit focused on Rigid Transformations and Reflections.


iMath Lesson - Rigid Transformations Poster Task - (Part Three)
Students continued to show their understanding of this concept in my Showbie Poster Task on Rigid Transformations.  Students created their own figure and reflected the figure using their own rule.


iMath –  Practice in Tenmarks and Buzzmath 
Students used Tenmarks and Buzzmath to practice reflections. 



The next part of the unit focused on Rigid Transformations and Rotations.


iMath Lesson - Rigid Transformations Poster Task - (Part Four)
Students contined to show their understanding of this concept in my Showbie Poster Task on Rigid Transformations.  Students created their own figure and rotated the figure using their own rule.


iMath Lesson - Rigid Transformations Poster Task 


iMath – Showbie Rotations Assignment
Students practiced rotations in my Showbie Assignment. 


iMath –  Practice in Tenmarks and Buzzmath 
Students used Tenmarks and Buzzmath to practice rotations.


  
The next part of the unit focused on Composition of Transformations.


iMath – Socrative (Self-paced) “Digital Task Cards”
Students practiced performing multiple transformations in my Socrative (self-paced) "Digital Task Cards" lesson Oops, I Lost My iPod Task


Here is my Socrative Code. Feel Free to Use. :o)
Composition of Transformations Task:  SOC-21865585

Socrative: Rigid Transformations "Team Task"
We ended the unit with my Socrative Collaborative "Team Task" on Rigid Transformations.


Unit Reflection
This unit needed more time, but there just wasn't any time.  This was the first year that my students were really understanding how to perform the transformations and use that to understand congruence. I decided not to focus on dilations in this unit and only focused on the three rigid transformations.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog.  I hope my lessons have inspired you.








1 comment:

  1. Awesome post!!!! I am currently working through this unit! I wish I had found this blog earlier. Do you mind sharing where I access these resources for future implementation?

    Great Job students!!!!

    ReplyDelete